Saturday, July 12, 2014

Backwards Planning

I love to backwards plan.  It's logical and it keeps me sane.  Enough said!  

This year we've adopted a new math program called Origo Stepping Stones.  I have mixed feelings about this.  We used to use Everyday Mathematics.  Then we switched to Common Core with district-made Units of Study (and no curriculum; we had to make our own).  Then the district changed the Units of Study (still no curriculum).  Then our district adopted Stepping Stones along with Common Core, but they're being kinda vague about if we have to follow it to the "T."  Can you see why I'm having these feelings?  With all this moving around, my grade level and I have been pretty busy planning assessments and lessons.  Urgh!

Needless to say, here we go again.  I need to backwards plan for the curriculum & standards we've been given.  All this work keeps us outta trouble though, right!?

Backwards planning is something most teachers do, I think. It just comes naturally.  I once heard of backward planning as something you would do when planning a vacation.  Whether your'e going camping, to visit relatives and hit an amusement park, or on an extravagant getaway, you always plan with the end outcome in mind.  You plan what you'll wear, where you'll go, how you're paying for it, etc., with the outcome that everyone will have a good time.  That's mastery in vacation-land!  :)  When it comes to our students, we want them to learn certain standards.  Here's the steps I take:

1. What's the standard?

2. Make a list of the skills and knowledge your students need to gain.

3. Come up with an assessment that will show mastery of the above skills.

4. Create a set of lessons that teach the skills and lead up to the assessment.

5. Lastly, reflect upon your lessons and assessment.  Did the students gain complete understanding of the standard?  Were they able to show mastery with your assessment? 

 Reflecting will help you plan better units in the future.

Summer is a fabulous time to backwards plan.  It's also a great time to plan some fun, rigorous activities that go along with your lessons.  Take advantage of all the awesome, free ideas online (Pinterest!), in books, and from your colleagues.  You want your students to stay engaged while learning new skills.  

Now...I'm off to plan out Stepping Stones.  I'll let ya' know what my year will look like soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment